August 12, 2022

Fabio Paratici is working on a transfer window like no other at Tottenham Hotspur to provide Antonio Conte with a squad that can challenge on all fronts.

When the two Italians met on a hot morning in Turin five days after the end of the season, they discussed plans and goals to build a much bigger and stronger squad that would allow the head coach to challenge the best clubs in the Premier League and the Champions. League next season.

Conte was particularly baffled that towards the end of the campaign it had taken just four or five injuries to ensure he needed to name four young academy players on his bench, three without a Premier appearance League to their name and one to Dane Scarlett with just a handful of minutes from two late cameos. football.london understands that the head coach sometimes felt limited last season with his inability to change games by having a bench full of players close to the level of his starting XI.

READ MORE: The 11 Tottenham youngsters to watch next season who could soon save Daniel Levy millions

Conte had made it very clear that, even if he had another season left on his contract, he would need to feel that ‘his path’ was going to be supported as he could not spend two seasons at a club without chasing after silverware or simply be content with finishing fourth in the Champions League.

Boosted by the extra £150m pumped into the club by ENIC owners, chairman Daniel Levy had already assured Conte that support would come and Paratici quickly turned their best-laid plans into reality and the club are ready to spend big to support their trophy-laden head coach.

The former Juventus manager is a renowned workaholic, creating a web of potential transfer deals before deciding which ones to push the button on. The 49-year-old has taken little time off since the end of the season and the result is that Spurs are close to signing the third signing of the summer despite the transfer window only opening on Friday.

Having already brought in Conte favorite Ivan Perisic on a free transfer and a local addition to out-of-contract England international goalkeeper Fraser Forster, the club have made their choice for 25-year-old Brighton midfielder Yves Bissouma.

Conte has requested ready-made players to get his new squad up and running this season and the Mali international has been one of the Premier League’s most impressive performers in recent years. With just one year left on his contract, Tottenham are set to complete a deal which is initially worth over £25m but could eventually top £30m with various additions, and the player is expected to suffer his medical at the club later this week.

Conte’s central midfield options currently include Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Rodrigo Bentancur and Oliver Skipp, with Harry Winks set to leave the club this summer with Everton among the interested parties, and Bissouma will add even more quality to those ranks then that Spurs are looking to raise the level of the squad for all upcoming competitions.

The Brighton midfielder has made headlines this season off the pitch after he was arrested last year, along with another man, following an investigation into an incident at a Brighton nightclub.

In response to a question about the incident, Sussex Police said football.london: “A man in his 40s from Brighton who was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault has had his parole extended until June 24, 2022. A man in his 20s, also from Brighton, who was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault has been released under investigation while investigations continue.”

The Seagulls said in October after the arrest: “Brighton & Hove Albion are aware that one of their players is assisting the police in the investigation of an alleged offence. The matter is the subject of legal proceedings and the club is therefore unable to comment further at this time.”

Paratici is set to make more signings for Conte this summer with the plan to get as many of them through in time to take part in the head coach’s grueling pre-season, during which he will define the requirements and the philosophy it expects. season. Conte wants at least six new faces to arrive at the club and with the plan to bring in many ahead of the team’s tour of South Korea, it will be a summer like no other for Spurs, who are renowned for leave their transfers for later. in the windows.

Conte would still like a new left centre-back, striker, creative midfielder and right-back, as well as a replacement for anyone he had in the squad at the end of the season who are leaving the club this summer.

Returning loanees Tanguy Ndombele and Giovani Lo Celso are set to leave, as is signing Bryan Gil last summer, while Winks, Steven Bergwijn and Joe Rodon are all expected to be among those leaving in search of football regular. Tottenham are also expected to listen to offers for Sergio Reguilon and Emerson Royal.

Spurs have held internal discussions over Christian Eriksen’s return to the club. The Denmark international, who is nearing the end of his short-term contract at Brentford, is reportedly keen to stay in London and Tottenham are hoping to convince him to work with Conte again, with Manchester United and the Bees also interested.

Tottenham are also expected to make a bid for Middlesbrough winger Djed Spence, who had a stellar season with Nottingham Forest and helped them secure promotion to the Premier League through the play-offs. The 21-year-old is said to be open to a move to Spurs, attracted by the prospect of playing in the Champions League and working with Conte, but the north London club are yet to agree a fee with Boro for the international English U21, which also interests Borussia Dortmund, Roma, Newcastle, Brentford and Forest.

Paratici is a big fan of Everton winger Richarlison and Spurs are monitoring his situation this summer, with the Liverpool club showing an interest in Winks throughout January before and after Frank Lampard’s arrival and the potential for a mutually beneficial agreement. Tottenham are also among many clubs to have expressed an interest in Leeds United’s Raphinha.

Conte is reportedly keen on a few new centre-backs, with RB Leipzig’s Josko Gvardiol, Villarreal’s Pau Torres, Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi, Turin’s Gleison Bremer, Barcelona’s Clement Lenglet and 19-year-old Ukraine international centre-back Ilya Zabarnyi among the names . on their shortlist.

Spurs have not entirely closed the door on a potential move for Inter’s Alessandro Bastoni, who has a big fan in Conte, as they continue to monitor the Serie A club’s financial situation but with others names linked to the exit door in Milan and the keen defender to stay there, it might take a drastic change in circumstances for that to happen at this stage.

Among the current squad, Tottenham stars are also pleased with the fact that Son Heung-min has just completed a season in which he reached new heights by winning the Premier League Golden Boot with Mohamed Salah and Harry Kane is believed to be open to talks over a new deal. in the coming months if the club continues to show ambition this summer. It’s a far cry from a year ago with Kane now excited about what’s to come under Conte and the chance to play in the Champions League again and also win trophies with Spurs.

It’s not just the first team where new signings are being made at the North London club. football.london understands Spurs have signed highly rated Irish U19 goalkeeper Josh Keeley. The 19-year-old plays for St Patrick’s Athletic and will arrive at the Premier League club following the release of five goalkeepers at various levels in recent weeks.

Paratici has also been busy off the pitch building a new recruitment team around him at Spurs following the resignation of technical performance manager Steve Hitchen in February. Gretar Steinsson is set to join Spurs as performance director, with Andy Scoulding as his assistant, with the two highly rated recruitment specialists taking on many tasks within his tenure and more, both in the first team and in the academy.

The former Bolton defender Steinsson, 40, was in charge of recruitment and development for three years at Everton, having previously been technical director of Fleetwood Town for four years. He was relieved of his duties at the struggling Toffees in December last year following a senior management reform which saw director of football Marcel Brands dismissed after what was reported as a power struggle with then-coach Rafa Benitez and director of scouting and operations Dan Purdy. also evolved.

The highly respected Scoulding, also 40, will join Scottish Rangers where he led scouting for four years, following previous roles the London-born specialist held with the FA, Salford City, Olympiacos and Valencia.

Focused on the youth training link and academy director, Dean Rastrick will be former Manchester City and Anderlecht manager Simon Davies, 48, who has been tipped to take over as manager of the methodology, ensuring a closer synergy between the first team and academy levels.

Tottenham Hotspur are set to look very different by the time the new Premier League season arrives, with games arriving on Thursday morning. Paratici and Conte are determined to build a Spurs side that can finally end fans’ wait for silverware and lay the foundation for long-term success.