El Salvador vs. USMNT
2022-23 Concacaf Nations League Group Stage Match 2
June 14, 2022
Estadio Cuscatlan; San Salvador, El Salvador
Pre-game coverage: 9:30 p.m. ET on FS1
Kickoff: 10 p.m. ET on FS1, Univision, TUDN
Social media: @USMNT on Twitter and instagram; American football on Facebook The American football app
Tonight’s USMNT starting XI in El Salvador: 18-Ethan Horvath, 4-Tyler Adams, 5-Antonee Robinson, 6-Yunus Musah, 10-Christian Pulisic, 11-Brenden Aaronson, 15-Aaron Long, 19-Haji Wright, 20-Cameron Carter-Vickers, 21-Tim Weah, 22-Reggie Cannon
Subs: 1-Matt Turner, 12-Sean Johnson, 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 3-Erik Palmer-Brown, 7-Paul Arriola, 8-Weston McKennie, 9-Jesús Ferreira, 13-Jordan Morris, 14-Luca de la Torre , 16-Joe Scally, 17-Cristian Roldan, 23-Kellyn Acosta
PLAY NOTES | FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT EL SALVADOR
- USMNT starting XI cap numbers (including this game): Christian Pulisic (51), Tyler Adams (30), Antonee Robinson (29), Reggie Cannon (27), Aaron Long (27), Tim Weah (25), Brenden Aaronson (22), Yunus Musah (19), Cameron Carter-Vickers (11), Ethan Horvath (8), Haji Wright (1)
- USMNT starting XI pick numbers in official competition (including this match): Christian Pulisic (37), Reggie Cannon (16), Antonee Robinson (16), Tyler Adams (15), Brenden Aaronson (14) , Aaron Long (12), Tim Weah (11), Yunus Musah (11), Cameron Carter-Vickers (2), Ethan Horvath (2), Haji Wright (1)
- USMNT Concacaf Nations League starting XI pick numbers (including this game): Reggie Cannon (6), Aaron Long (5), Christian Pulisic (5), Brenden Aaronson (3), Antonee Robinson (3), Tyler Adams (2), Cameron Carter-Vickers (2), Ethan Horvath (2), Tim Weah (2), Yunus Musah (1), Haji Wright (1)
- Tonight’s starting XI has an average age of 24 years and 26 days.
- The USMNT roster averages 22 caps and 11 appearances in official competition.
- Gregg Berhalter makes seven changes to the USMNT roster that started Friday’s CNL opener against Grenada, with the backline of Reggie Cannon, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Aaron Long and Antonee Robinson as leftovers.
- Goalkeeper Ethan Horvath makes his first appearance since supporting the United States in a 4-0 win in the friendly against Costa Rica on June 9, 2021 in Sandy, Utah. It is also Horvath’s second appearance in official competition after his heroic appearance as a substitute in the Nations League final victory over Mexico on June 6, 2021 in Denver.
- Forward Haji Wright earns his first start, first official competition cap and first away appearance for the USMNT tonight.
- Christian Pulisic captain of the team for the 10e time tonight. Pulisic (23.74) is the second-youngest player in the modern era (1990-present) to captain the USMNT 10 times, after only Tony Meola (23.18) who did it on April 29 1992 in the Republic of Ireland.
Youngest USMNT captain 10 times (modern era)
Age at 10e Captain’s rank
April 29, 1992 in Ireland
June 14, 2022 in El Salvador
1 June 1991 v Ireland
March 28, 2007 against Guatemala
June 11, 2000 against Mexico
- Aaron Long becomes the only player to start each of USA’s four games during the June window.
- The goalscorer in WCQ’s 1-0 win over El Salvador on January 27, left-back Antonee Robinson continues his run as the only player to make all 10 appearances in 2022.
- Three starters appeared in USA’s last visit to El Salvador, a 0-0 draw to open 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifying on September 2, 2021. Brenden Aaronson and Tyler Adams started the game and Antonee Robinson came off the bench in the 64e minute.
- Five starters took part in the 1-0 home qualifying win over El Salvador, played Jan. 27 in Columbus, Ohio. Antonee Robinson, who scored the game’s only goal, along with Tyler Adams, Christian Pulisic and Tim Weah all started, while Brenden Aaronson came on for Pulisic in the 65th minute.
- With squads limited to dressing 23 players, defenders George Bello, Walker Zimmerman and midfielder Malik Tillman are not part of tonight’s squad. Teams are allowed to make five substitutions at three different times.
- The United States are 19-1-6 against El Salvador, a 12-0-4 advantage in matches played in official competition and a 2-1-4 record in away matches against Los Cuscatlécos.
- Victory tonight would guarantee the United States a top-two spot in Nations League A, Group D and, in turn, earn a spot for the USMNT in the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup.
- Mexico’s Cesar Ramos is the referee for tonight’s game. The USMNT is 3-3-2 in games officiated by Ramos, the most recent of which was the away World Cup qualifier in Canada on January 30, 2022.