August 20, 2022

Bernardo Silva ‘offered himself to Barcelona chiefs when they were in Manchester to seal the transfer of Ferran Torres in January’ with the star midfielder even ‘sending them a TEXT that he wanted to move to the Nou Camp »

  • Bernardo Silva reportedly tells Barcelona he wants to join them at the end of 2021
  • Barcelona officials were visiting England to complete a move for Ferran Torres
  • The Catalan giants reportedly first suspected the playmaker was joking
  • Bernardo reportedly pushed for a move after reiterating his desire via text message

According to a report, Bernardo Silva texted to pick me up from Barcelona officials after urging them to sign him during their visit to England at the end of 2021.

Portuguese playmaker Bernardo reportedly took the opportunity to put Barca on alert as the La Liga giants held fruitful talks with City over Ferran Torres in late November and December.

The visiting executives thought the 27-year-old was joking until one later received a message from him telling them to explore the move, Mundo Deportivo claim.

Man City midfielder Bernardo Silva (left) has been repeatedly linked with a move to Barcelona

Bernardo reportedly appeals to Barcelona as they negotiate for Ferran Torres

Bernardo reportedly appeals to Barcelona as they negotiate for Ferran Torres

The outlet says the player’s agent, Jorge Mendes, reiterated his client’s intention to Barcelona president Joan Laporta, sporting vice-president Rafa Yuste and director of football Mateu Alemany in ‘successive’ meetings since January.

The four-time Premier League winner reportedly became a Barca fan when he watched former Portugal midfielder Deco, who was a team-mate of current manager Xavi at Camp Nou, play for them in 2004.

This sparked an early desire to play for the club which the former Benfica and Monaco midfielder reportedly retained throughout his career.

Five-time Champions League winners Barca have always been linked with Bernardo despite his recent financial troubles.

Bernardo admired Deco (bottom right), a teammate of Barca boss Xavi (bottom, third from left)

Bernardo admired Deco (bottom right), a teammate of Barca boss Xavi (bottom, third from left)

The sale of Dutch international Frenkie de Jong could prove crucial to their chances of securing a deal. City’s asking price of £80m was reportedly designed to deter Barca from moving.

Barcelona have been boosted by a £235m stadium naming rights deal with Spotify and are aiming to close the gap to champions Real Madrid by strengthening their squad ahead of Xavi’s first full season in charge.

The club legend was appointed on November 6 – weeks before Bernardo made clear his availability.

City manager Pep Guardiola, who has seen Bernardo score 48 times and provide 51 assists since signing for the club in 2017, played down transfer talk when he visited Barcelona on Monday to discuss a friendly in August between the teams.

Agent Jorge Mendes reportedly reiterated Xavi's goal during

Agent Jorge Mendes reportedly reiterates Xavi’s target in ‘successive meetings’ with Barca

Guardiola said: “From today, in my opinion, I think Bernardo Silva will continue with Man City next season.

“Our goal as a club is for him to stay with us. That’s our intention, although I don’t like keeping unhappy players at Man City.

Bernardo signed a three-year contract extension in 2019 to keep him at City until 2025.

City were reportedly convinced in February to agree a new deal to secure his services until 2026, but that has not materialized and the club’s Goal of the Season winner has refused to discuss his future as he is in international service earlier this month.

Advertising