The summer transfer window is here, and there’s a lot of gossip swirling about who’s going where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumors, whereabouts and, of course, deals!
TOP STORY: Arsenal considering double deal for Paqueta and Zhegrova
Arsenal considering a double for the Lyon midfielder Lucas Paqueta and the Lille winger Edon Zhegrovaaccording to MediaFoot.
Paqueta, 24, is said to have turned down several clubs as he sought a new challenge, having only joined Lyon from AC Milan in 2020 for around €20million.
The Brazil international scored 11 goals in 44 games last season but is keen to move on. The Gunners need depth in the center of midfield and have also been linked with Leicester Youri Tielemans.
Meanwhile, Zhegrova is a surprise option in wide positions for the Gunners. The 23-year-old, who has been compared in style to Real Madrid winger Eden Hazard, is seen as a more profitable option than the Leeds United winger. Raphinhawho the Gunners made an offer to sign earlier this month.
Arsenal spent 80 million euros to sign the Ivorian winger Nicolas Pepe de Lille in 2019, before it collapses, so he will be wary of doing the same thing again. Kosovar international Zhegrova joined Lille in January for 7 million euros from FC Basel.
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately
10.40am BST: Ousmane Dembele is ready to stay at Barcelona and sign a contract with the Catalan giants until June 2024, Mundo Deportivo report.
Dembele’s contract with Barca expired last month and attracted interest from a host of top clubs, including Chelsea and PSG, but the LaLiga side were still hopeful a deal could be agreed for the French international remains at Camp Nou beyond this summer.
A deal has now reportedly been agreed between the striker and the club which will see Dembele sign a two-year contract and earn 40% less than his previous contract. Therefore, Dembele will earn the same salary as the Barca starlet Ansu Fati. Although Barca’s sporting directors have to give the green light for the deal to be made official.
Dembele, 25, joined Barca from Borussia Dortmund for €105m in the summer of 2017.
10.17 BST: Sporting CP have reached an agreement with Barcelona to sign Francisco TrincaoRegistration reports.
The Primeira Liga outfit will pay €10m for 50% of the Portuguese winger’s sporting rights. Barca will still own 50% of Trincao’s rights and have the option to re-sign him included in the deal.
Trincao, 22, spent last season on loan at Wolves from Barca and started pre-season training with the Blaugrana last week knowing that his stay at Camp Nou would be temporary.
10.08 BST: Brentford have completed the signing of the Scottish international full-back Aaron Hickey from Bologna.
Hickey, 20, has signed a four-year contract, having moved to Italy from Hearts in 2020. Last season he played 36 of Bologna’s 38 games and scored five goals.
Coach Thomas Frank said: “I am very happy that we have managed to sign Aaron. What he has achieved so far in his career is very impressive. He is only 20 years old and has played a full season in Scotland as well as nearly two seasons in Serie A. We believe Aaron is a player with great potential, who already has an impressive number of games at a good level under his belt. We believe we have proven that we are a good club for players to maximize their potential.We think we can help them to be even better.
“Aaron is a rare thing in modern football in that he is equally good with both feet. He is technically very solid and he is good when he has the ball in tight areas. He is an attacking full-back who has good creativity, he’s a great ball cruiser and scored goals in Serie A last year Having played two years in Italy we know he will have good defensive traits There are areas for improvement and we look forward to having him with us so that we can be part of his development as a player.”
09:52 BST: Paul Pogba will complete his return to Juventus today.
Pogba, 29, undergoes a medical in Turin this morning before putting pen to paper on a four-year deal. The France international spent the last six years at Manchester United making 226 appearances and scoring 39 goals, but joined as a free agent.
— Juventus FC (@juventusfc) July 9, 2022
“I’m back, I’m here and I can’t wait to start” Pogba told the club’s Twitter account. “I’m very, very happy. I can’t wait to start and wear that Juventus shirt again.”
Pogba first joined Juve in 2012 from Manchester United and won four Serie A titles with the Bianconeri and two Coppa Italia trophies, he then returned to Old Trafford in 2016 for a then world-record fee of £89.3m.
09:39 BST: ICYMI- Angel Di Maria has signed for Juventus after leaving Paris Saint-Germain, the Serie A club have announced.
Di Maria scored 92 goals in 295 appearances for PSG after joining Manchester United in 2015, winning five league titles during his time in the French capital.
The Argentine winger left PSG when his contract expired in the summer, and Juventus have now secured his signature.
09:00 BST: ICYMI- Luka Jovic left Real Madrid for Fiorentina on a free transfer, three years after the LaLiga club paid €60m to sign the striker who was then among Europe’s most sought-after young stars.
Jovic, 24, joins Fiorentina on a two-year contract until June 2024. Madrid will retain the right to receive 50% of the transfer fee, should the Serie A club decide to move the player.
The Serbia international will be looking to revive his career in Italy after scoring just three La Liga goals and never finding the net in the Champions League, during a disappointing spell at the Bernabeu.
Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti was keen to cut his squad this summer, sources have told ESPN, with Jovic and Mariano Diaz considered surplus to requirements in attack.
Ale Moreno thinks now may be the time for Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United to part ways.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Nick Judd)
– Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag is looking to beat his former club Ajax Amsterdam to the striker’s signature Brian Brobbey, according to the Times. Ajax had been in talks with RB Leipzig, with whom Brobbey appears to have no future, but Ten Hag believes he can give the 20-year-old a try at Old Trafford. Brobbey played just 124 minutes in the Bundesliga before returning to Ajax on loan, and was widely expected to join his hometown club on a permanent transfer this summer. Brobbey would cost United around €20m, and he scored 10 goals in 23 games under Ten Hag in his previous spell at the club.
– AS Roma are desperate to beat Internazionale to sign ex-Juventus striker Paulo Dybala, according to the Corriere dello Sport. The Argentine striker’s contract with Juve ended on June 30 and he is yet to commit to his next move despite a verbal agreement with Inter. However, the Nerazzurri — while offering a deal Roma would struggle to match — need to offload one or both Edin Dzeko Where Joaquin Correa before they could make any more attacking additions, which opened the door for Roma boss Jose Mourinho to steal a march on 28-year-old Dybala.
– Paris Saint-Germain may have to increase their offer for the Sassuolo striker Gianluca Scamacca if they want to add him to their attacking options, according to Sky Sports Italy. The French champions have offered Sassuolo €30m plus bonuses to sign the Italy international, but Sassuolo chief executive Giovanni Carnevali is expecting more than €50m. The 23-year-old scored 16 goals in 38 appearances last season.
– Barcelona keen to poach Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta before the Blues depart for their pre-season tour this weekend, according to the Sun. The Catalan club are looking to add depth to their defense and see the experienced Azpilicueta as the perfect complement. The Spaniard’s contract at Stamford Bridge ended in the summer but has been automatically renewed for another season, meaning Barcelona will have to negotiate a small fee with Chelsea if they want to land the 32-year-old.
– Everton keen to add Southampton full-back Kyle Walker-Peters and the Chelsea striker Armando Broja in their ranks, according to the Mirror. Toffees manager Frank Lampard is a big fan of Walker-Peters, who has two caps for England, while Broja was at Chelsea while Lampard managed the Blues. Broja, 20, has been on loan for the past two seasons, at Vitesse Arnhem and Southampton, but Chelsea are now keen to receive a fee for the striker.